- 1 Nutritional Requirements for Yorkie Puppies and Adults
- 2 Following are some suggestions regarding feeding the Yorkies considering the age:
- 3 Daily Nutritional Intake
- 4 Common Health Problems to Know and Keep an Eye on
- 5 Dry or Wet: Which are the Best Dog Foods for Yorkies
- 6 Other Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Food for Yorkies
- 7 Top 5 Food Products for Yorkies: Our Recommendations
If you love to have small dogs as pet, it is common for you to even have a Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkie. Unlike other dogs, Yorkies have distinct food requirements. Although their small size can deceive you regarding their food requirements, it is vital to focus on the actual dietary needs. This is essential to choose the best dog food for Yorkies.
Small dogs are challenging when it comes to feeding and that size can often result in underfeeding or overfeeding. At the same time, you also need to take care of their health issues and avoid foods causing them. So, it is wise to begin with the knowledge of the dietary requirements for your Yorkie. Doing so assists in accomplishing their overall performance.
|Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Turkey & Chicken, 26-Pound Bag||Wellness Core®||26-Pound Bag|
|Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food, Turkey & Oatmeal, 12-Pound Bag||Wellness Natural Pet Food||12-Pound Bag|
|EUKANUBA Breed Specific Adult Labrador Retriever Dog Food 30 Pounds||Eukanuba||30 lbs.|
|Nutro ULTRA Adult Dry Dog Food, 30 lbs.||Nutro||30 lbs.|
|ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION Yorkshire Terrier Adult dry dog food, 10-Pound||Royal Canin||10-Pound|
Nutritional Requirements for Yorkie Puppies and Adults
Just as other dogs, Yorkies need food rich in vitamins and nutrients coming from natural ingredients, and not byproducts. Yorkies are small, which means their mouth is small. In that case, for feeding, the best dry dog food for Yorkies, it is ideal to opt for small-sized kibble. This is because a large kibble makes it tough for the little one to chew.
Keeping in mind that Yorkies have a small stomach, they are unable to swallow a big amount in one meal. This factor together with that of a big kibble makes it tough to digest. Well, both these factors simply result in malnutrition.
Another factor to consider is the dog’s age. It affects the quantity of food that the Yorkies consume or frequently consume. So, feeding the best puppy food for Yorkies once a day is insufficient. If you do so, it can result in health issues such as an upset stomach and low blood sugar. Rather than a single big meal in a day, it is best to feed twice or thrice in a day.
Following are some suggestions regarding feeding the Yorkies considering the age:
- From 4 Weeks to 3 Months: During the nursing time of a puppy Yorkie, it is essential to feed throughout the day so that it gains sufficient weight. This is required for handling a more structured diet than the mother’s milk. If the food is insufficient, the dog can suffer from hypoglycemia.
- From 3 Months to 1 Year: This is the stage at which you should start a feeding schedule. If you offer food for most of the times to your puppy, it will make potty training difficult. So, keep a disciplined schedule, such as feeding four meals each day. Doing so aids in improving the dog’s behavior. Just ensure not to feed the dog before two hours of sleeping time.
- From 1 Year and above: Now, the puppy is an adult. This means you should not change the schedule to have only two meals each day. As a tip, consider making one meal large.
Daily Nutritional Intake
The exact quantity and frequency of feeding both shall vary as per the page. Similarly, the level of activity of a Yorkie is also likely to influence the number of required calories. As a fact, the younger the Yorkie, the higher is the level of activity. This means that more calories would be consumed.
So, the best treats for yorkie puppies should be more in calories for the growing ones. For puppies, it is 200 calories, while for the adults, the recommended amount is 150 calories. Similarly, for seniors, it is just 120 calories.
If a yorkie needs 150 calories per day, it does not indicate to opt for two 75-calorie meals. This is because at times, the doggy can get tired of having big portions twice in a day, which is too much. So, alternatively, you should consider splitting the portions into three or four parts and let the doggy eat after every four to five hours.
Usually, a puppy requires 45 to 55 calories per pound per day. Grown up Yorkies need less calories per pound. Due to varying levels of calories, no definitive amount exists for feeding. For example, it is inept to say that 1 cup of best puppy food for Yorkies will be enough, as the number of calories in that cup differs from one type of food to another.
Ideally, you should follow the serving sizes on labels to know how much to feed. This is because most of these labels convey the size as per the weight.
In case the dog skips a single meal, it is okay and normal for a puppy. Nevertheless, missing two courses is serious and may indicate a health risk. In any meal, the essential ingredients are protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and fats.
Common Health Problems to Know and Keep an Eye on
Small dogs often become a victim of big health issues. Although most Yorkies live a long and healthy life, some medical conditions are common, which are described below for you to give proper medical care.
- Hypoglycemia, when the blood glucose is not regulated well within the body or the food elements are not mingled nicely as per the doggy’s requirements. Its symptoms include fainting, drowsiness, depression, weakness, and confused behavior. To overcome it, give food that the doggy enjoys or feels happy to consume, spread the meals for regular consumption throughout the day, avoid skipping a meal, and include some of the best treats.
- Collapsing tracheas in which it is tough to pass air via the windpipe. The signs include bluish gums, artificial breathing, and beeping cough.
- Luxating patellas in which the kneecap gets misplaced marked by lameness and abnormal limb movement.
- Dental issues such as premature tooth decay. During this time, consider giving the best dry dog food for Yorkies. This is because wet food makes their jaw weak.
- Hypothyroidism marked by an underactive thyroid and weight issues.
- Legg-Calve-Perthes in which less blood passes to the joints of the hips due to which limping is common. This is possible due to malnutrition and wrong food selection.
- Sensitive stomach due to tiny size and is marked by vomiting and diarrhea. The best way to overcome these issues is to feed small meals more frequently, avoid corn and soy, and food changes gradually over many weeks.
Dry or Wet: Which are the Best Dog Foods for Yorkies
Both the options are fine. Thus, it is dependent on the overall health. Recently, researchers have concluded that dry items are better than the wet ones. So, consider giving the best dry dog food for Yorkies in case you wish to follow this latest trend.
In case you have given only wet food until now, take a small test as to how it will react to a dry food item. It is vital for a dog to change its eating habits more slowly and smoothly, as any upfront pressure proves to be harmful for them. Further, it is also rational to ask a vet to suggest as per the dog’s teeth.
Other Factors to Consider for Choosing the Best Food for Yorkies
Apart from determining the health of your Yorkie, the dog food that you give also helps in recognizing behavior and temperament. While identifying foods, there are some more factors to consider along with nutrients, calorie intake, and age:
- Portion Size: Look for dog food products that come in small sizes. Even if you are offering one of the best treats for yorkie puppies, it is problematic if its bite size is what that suits an adult dog.
- Small Breed Formula: Consider choosing a product that is exclusively made for small dog breeds, not large dog breeds. This is because large breeds have a different caloric and nutritional formula. Yorkies need a formula with small size into consideration. Different sized dogs need varying calories and nutrients. Further, the formula that you choose should not have preservatives (chemical-based) or artificial colors, as they are dangerous for the little one’s health. They can result in digestive issues and allergies as well.
- Protein Quality: Well, this should be of high quality. Such food items do not have meat by-products, as they have no nutrients. In fact, these by-products can trigger health issues.
- Unwanted Fillers: Just avoid it! Whether you are looking for the best dry dog food for Yorkies or best puppy food for Yorkies, ensure that they do not have corn, soy, or wheat as an ingredient. They are usually added to fill up the vacuum and do not offer any nutritional benefit. They also cause malnutrition in Yorkies, as filling the space may also mean insufficient nutrients. It is better to fill that space with carbohydrates such as rice and sweat potatoes.
Top 5 Food Products for Yorkies: Our Recommendations
#1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
This is a protein-rich formula for Yorkies offering kibble-sized nibbles with optimal calories. It contains deboned turkey, chicken meal, omega fatty acids from salmon oil, botanicals, antioxidants, probiotics, and glucosamine. These ingredients ensure overall wellness, including of the digestive and immune system.
- No fillers, meat by-products, or artificial stuff
- Shiny coat
- Made in U.S.A.
- Reduced allergy risk
- Weight loss if overweight
- No smell
- Possibility of dislike
- Not for those with very sensitive stomach
#2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food
This is a complete health pack for Yorkies, as it offers a balanced daily nutrition for small breeds. The formula in smaller kibble size is composed of oatmeal, turkey, flaxseeds, salmon, and antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits. It also has vitamins, Omega fatty acids, and minerals, which with the aforementioned ingredients, ensure healthy skin, coat, eyes, bones, teeth, gums, immunity, energy, and digestive health.
- Made in U.S.A
- Great coat
- Ideal for those with stomach issues
- Easy chewing
- No fillers, preservatives, or by-products
- No clarity on food sources
#3. EUKANUBA Breed Specific Adult Dry Dog Food
With 10 lbs, EUKANUBA is offering the best defense formula for the teeth of adult Yorkies. This product is proven to alleviate the accumulation of tartar within a month. It is made with quality animal proteins including chicken and a fibrous mix of prebiotic FOS and natural beet pulp to smoothen digestion and boost nutrient absorption. The addition of zinc, copper, and omega fatty acids tend to take care of skin and coat.
- Assurance of chewing
- Good coat
- Attractive for super picky breeds
- Chance of disliking (test it first), need of adding wet food or flavoring for some Yorkies
- Price raised recently with reduced weight
#4. NUTRO ULTRA Adult Dry Dog Food
With 8 lbs of size, this dry puppy food has a formula to offer optimal nutrition with ingredients. These include spinach, tomatoes, antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, Omega fatty acids, animal proteins, and fruits such as pomegranate and blueberries. The food is in kibble shape, which is feasible for Yorkies. It contains whole brown rice, natural sunflower oil, rolled oats, and flaxseed oil for a shiny coat and healthy skin. Amino acids for lean muscles come from farm-raised chicken, salmon, and lamb. It is available even for puppy Yorkies.
- Comprehensive formula taking care of heart, skin, coat, vision, and muscles
- No preservatives or artificial colors
- Easier to chew and pick
- Good for picky Yorkies
- Hardly any
#5. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Dry Dog Food
With a size of 2.5 pounds, this one is for puppies between eight weeks to ten months old. It comes with a kibble shape that is fully adapted to the puppy’s jaw. The formula sustains the health of the long coat with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids and biotin. There are also lots of prebiotics as well as antioxidants such as taurine, vitamins C and E, and lutein to strengthen the natural immunity of the puppy. In terms of balanced nutrients, this is one of the best dry dog food for Yorkies. The food is also likely to satisfy fussy and sensitive-stomach requirements. The brand also offers packets for adult Yorkies.
- Easier to pick and chew
- Good hair coat growth
- Per-pound calorie intake instructions
- Chicken by-product and corn filler
- A bit expensive