TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What a German Shepherd Needs
2. Recommendations – top 5 dog foods for German shepherds
#1.ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION German Shepherd Adult dry dog food
#2. EUKANUBA Breed Specific Adult Dry Dog Food
#3.Healthy Breeds 1365-grmn-004 365 Count German Shepherd Multi-Tabs Plus Chewable Tablets, One Size
#4.Gentle Giants Natural Dog Food
#5.30-Pound, Support Healthy Bones & Joints Dry Dog Food for German Shepherd
3. Best Food for German Shepherds with Special Needs
3.1. Skin allergies
3.2. Sensitive stomachs
3.5.Best dog food for german shepherd puppies
3.6.Best vitamin supplements for a german shepherd
Our TOP PICKS for German Shepherds
|ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION German Shepherd Adult dry dog food, 30-Pound||Animal Supply Company (RC)||30-Pound|
|EUKANUBA Breed Specific Adult Labrador Retriever Dog Food 30 Pounds||Eukanuba||30 lbs.|
|Healthy Breeds 1365-grmn-004 365 Count German Shepherd Multi-Tabs Plus Chewable Tablets, One Size||Fulfillment Advantage Ventures, Inc||One Size|
|Gentle Giants Natural Dog Food, 33 lbs||Gentle Giants Products, Inc.||33 lbs|
|30-Pound, Support Healthy Bones & Joints Dry Dog Food for German Shepherd||Royal Canin||N/A|
Your dog is one of the most special members of your family. He or she is not just a pet, but becomes the member that makes sure that your family’s day is a whole lot brighter. He or she greets you at the door when you come, lays next to you at night and makes sure that you always feel secure.
It is for this last reason that so many opt for a dog like a German Shepherd. These dogs not only make sure that you feel safe in your home, they actually do it in a way that gives you greater peace of mind than one can imagine, especially if you have children. German Shepherds are so adept at knowing when you are worried or stressed and responding accordingly. When things don’t seem right they start to pace to make sure that everyone is safe, and they make sure that nothing is going to go wrong on their watch. Let a burglar or other intruder make his or her way into your home and they are about to have an encounter with a dog ready to defend the members of his or her family to the death.
It is this kind of love that a German Shepherd gives to your family that makes it so that you want to do all you can to protect your dog and make sure that he or she is safe. This means ensuring that the dog is well cared for, has a good spot to sleep, and gets plenty of love. It also means ensuring that your dog is fed the right kind of food.
What a German Shepherd Needs
While many dogs can share in the same kinds of foods, German Shepherds require a different kind of nutrition because they are somewhat different from many other dogs, including those that are similar in size. The German Shepherd is a dog that has a mostly muscular body, which means that they have different nutritional needs than other dogs have.
The German Shepherd is known within the dog world as a protector, but it also has many of the same traits that one would see with a wolf. They are very loyal dogs, being unbelievably devoted to their owners who are ready to protect in any kind of situation that may arise.
This dog breed is known to be very active and doesn’t require a lot of rest. They only need short spurts before being ready to respond to any kind of threat or situation, and are in better shape physically than many other kinds of canines that you will find out there.
It is because of this that a German Shepherd has some nutritional needs that are different than what you would find with other kinds of dogs. These needs are focused around three primary areas.
Protein and Fat Content – This is a large dog and the German Shepherd is very high energy. This means that it needs to be part of a diet that can help sustain the needs that dog has to keep its energy level up. This means that the average German Shepherd weighs between 60 and 80 pounds and needs about 2,000 calories in its intake. This is often achieved through the amount of protein that the dog eats. It is for this reason that you want to make sure that any food you feed the dog is high in protein.
Fiber – larger dogs need more fiber because they have a more sensitive digestive tract. The tract is longer, which can lead to a much larger number of issues. Making sure that there are special fibers in the diet that the dog is eating help to keep food processing through the tract more readily and make for a much healthier intestinal tract for your canine.
For Healthy Joints and Bones – Because bigger dogs are full of energy, they do a lot more physically. This means that they are putting a lot more pressure on their joints and muscles, especially when a German Shepherd reaches that 80 pound threshold. You need dog food that has the right kind of minerals and vitamins to make sure that your pet is a lot healthier.
Recommendations – top 5 dog foods for German shepherds
There are a large number of dog foods out there for Altasians, but you want to make sure that you are getting something that is ideal to meet the requirements that are mentioned above. If you are looking for the best dog food for German Shepherds, then here are some you will definitely want to consider for your pet.
1.ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION German Shepherd Adult dry dog food
For adult dogs, this is one of the very best that you could feed your German Shepherd. There is obviously a big difference in the nutritional needs of puppies versus adult dogs, and this one takes that into account. The Royal Canin brand is especially good for those dogs that are having a little more trouble with digestion. Even if they are not, the dog will find that it is easier to digest this brand of food, and you will see the results in the overall health of the dog, including in a much healthier coat and skin.
The benefits of this dog food include:
- Supports the digestive tract of the dog well, especially for dogs that have sensitive digestions.
- For dogs that have sensitive skin this is the idea dog food.
- This food really helps in creating healthier bones and joints within the body.
- Designed for dogs over 15 months old
- At $60 a bag, this can be a rather pricey choice
2. EUKANUBA Breed Specific Adult Dry Dog Food–
For those who are looking for a dog food that has all the dietary needs that a German Shepherd could have, then this is one of the very best options you could ask for. What makes Eukanuba so much different than many foods you may buy is that they make their food specifically to suit the needs a specific breed of dog. It is because of this that makes this one of the very best dog foods for German Shepherds. It not only comes with the nutrients that a German Shepherd would need, but it also helps in digestion, making it one of the most popular options among German Shepherd owners.
The benefits of this dog food include:
- The DENTADEFENSE system which will help to reduce the amount of tartar that builds up on your dog’s teeth.
- This is a high-quality food that provides all the animal proteins that your dog needs for strong bones and joints.
- This food includes a highly specialized system that includes fiber to it that will really help with your dog’s digestion.
- Challenges for those who don’t have pure breed German Shepherd dogs
- Doesn’t have the same kind of effect on other aspects of the dog’s health like skin and fur.
3.Healthy Breeds 1365-grmn-004 365 Count German Shepherd Multi-Tabs Plus Chewable Tablets, One Size–
For those who have an older German Shepherd, this could be just the food you are looking for. Not only are dietary supplements provided that can help your aging dog to feel younger and remain energetic, but you will find that this food will really help with the overall health of your pet. This is a supplement that you can add to your dog’s feed or simply give to the dog directly by hand. You will really be excited about the positive results that you see in your dogs.
The benefits of this dog food include:
- Easy to chew tablets that your dog will love.
- Provides great benefits for your dog’s skin and coat.
- Many people who have dog health insurance will find that this supplement is covered by your insurance to reduce the cost.
- Great source of additional protein.
- At a price of about $30 it is a pricey supplement and also means that you still have to buy food for your dog.
4.Gentle Giants Natural Dog Food
This is a dog food that is available for all ages of dogs. This is a high-quality food that is made of products that you as the pet owner can have faith in, including farm raised chickens, oatmeal, brown rice, and pearled barley. Added to these ingredients are vitamins and minerals that will really help with the health of your dog, no matter what age he or she is, and probiotics and anti-oxidants aid in digestion and overall health of your dog. Bags for various ages are available to suit your needs.
The benefits of this dog food include:
- Various sizes offer benefits for your dog, no matter what size the dog is.
- Does not use GMO products at all, something that many people are afraid to allow their family as a whole, including their dog consume.
- Complete nutrition that your dog will need.
- Offers you a brand that will take care of your dog for the entire lifespan.
- Is not specifically designed for German Shepherds, meaning not all nutrients that a German Shepherd could use are present.
- This is the same concern for the ages of the dog, where older German Shepherds or puppies may not be getting all the vitamins and minerals that they need.
5.30-Pound, Support Healthy Bones & Joints Dry Dog Food for German Shepherd
This is another great Royal Canin dog food, which in this case is made specifically for German Shepherd dogs. This makes it so that the all the nutrients and minerals are available for your dog to ensure the he or she has the very best health. Most importantly, this food is geared toward giving your dog strong joints and bones, as well as a healthy coat and skin. It is one of the most highly recommended brands of dog foods for German Shepherds.
The benefits of this dog food include:
- This food is made to help those dogs that have a sensitive digestive system.
- Many German Shepherds have sensitive skin and this food is perfect for helping with these kinds of problems, as well as helping to improve the overall health of the dog.
- Improves the health of the dog’s bones and joints, keeping it more energetic.
- Provides all the nutrients and minerals that your German Shepherd will need.
- Does not take into effect dogs that are not pure breeds.
- At about $65, this is one of the most expensive foods you will find, but it has all the ingredients your dog will need.
Some Specialty Brands of Foods for Your German Shepherd
While these brands of dog food work perfectly for any German Shepherd, the truth is that there are some dogs that have different kinds of needs that go beyond simple nutrition. Here are some examples of great options that allow you to provide great food for your dog that will handle his or her individual needs.
Best dog food for german shepherds with skin allergies
Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
– If your dog has skin allergies to different kinds of dog foods, then this is exactly what you are looking for. Most allergies come from wheat products, and so this food uses rice as the primary base, reducing the chances that your pet will have an allergic reaction. The Omega-6-fatty acids help promote healthy skin and your dog will get the nutrients that it needs to improve its overall health. There are no corn, wheat, or soy products in this food and there is no poultry by-product meal either. This ensures that your pet will be safe from the ill effects of foods that can cause it to react negatively.
Best dog food for german shepherds with sensitive stomachs
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
– If your dog has a sensitive stomach that can cause it to be irritated or to have trouble processing food through its digestive tract then this is what you are looking for. Hill’s is made so that it can easily be digested by your dog, yet still provides you with all the nutrition and dietary needs that your dog needs. There are no artificial colors or preservatives in this food, so that there is no processed food that can cause an irritation to your pet’s digestive tract. Best yet, the manufacturer is so sure that your dog will be able to eat it quite easily that they offer a 100 percent money back guarantee.
Best dog food for german shepherds with allergies
PS For Dogs 100% Hypoallergenic Dog Food – No More Paw Licking & Skin Scratching
– Solves Allergies Naturally – No More Harmful Shots, Pills & Expensive Prescription Food – for dogs that have many different kinds of allergies then this may be the exact food that you are looking for. Not only does this food reduce allergic reactions that your dog may face, but it also removes a lot of the kinds of reactions that you see your dog have to allergies, like excessive paw licking, scratching, and bumps. Many behaviors your dog begins to incorporate because they have gotten so used to scratching or licking, but this food reduces those behaviors quickly, helping your pet to be able to relax a lot more. This is a grain free product, that is high in protein. You will love the improved health your pet will have, while also not having to worry about the effects of allergies.
Best dog food for german shepherd with diarrhea
Amazing Nutritionals Probiotic Joint for Dogs, Bacon flavoured, 120 Tablets
– If your dog is suffering from diarrhea or other digestive or excretory maladies, then here is the perfect solution for you. These tablets are designed to improve the overall health of your dog’s digestive system by adding probiotics into the mix. It is commonly recognized now that probiotics help improve the health of humans by supporting the good bacteria that lines the digestive tract of a person. Well, this product does the same for dogs, making their digestive tracts more efficient and reducing the issues that lead to diarrhea. These supplements also provide nutrients and minerals that are needed by your German Shepherd and will make your dog feel a whole lot better.
Best dog food for a german shepherd puppy
ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION German Shepherd Puppy dry dog food, 30-Pound
– We have already talked about a couple of great Royal Canin products and here is another one that is specifically designed for German Shepherd puppies. As we saw before, Royal Canin makes foods that are specifically designed for a certain breed of dog, and this is a great example, which not only focuses on German Shepherds but also provides food specific for the needs of puppies of this breed. This makes sure that your pet is not only getting the kinds of nutrients that a puppy needs, but also the nutrients that a German Shepherd specifically needs. The proteins are exactly what your pup will need, and the fibers will really aid in your dog’s digestion.
SPECIAL: vitamins that every German shepherd needs
Healthy Breeds 1127-grmn-003 60 Count German Shepherd Multi-Vitamin Soft Chews, One Size
– This is a daily nutritional supplement that gives your German Shepherd all the vitamins and minerals that your dog needs. This supplement blends the vitamins and minerals, along with antioxidants to ensure that your German Shepherd is taking in all the required nutrition that it would need to keep its health optimal and improve the way your dog looks and feels. This is made for a wide variety of dog breeds and ages, but has all the vitamins that your breed of dog will need. Veterinarians recommend this as the perfect supplement for your dog.
Your German Shepherd is incredibly important to you, and so it makes perfect sense to do something that will protect its long term health and keep it the high energy dog that you love so much. By looking into these dog foods you now have an idea of exactly what to look for when making sure that your German Shepherd is that absolute best that he or she can be.
Whether you are looking at the food you will feed your pet daily, the supplements you want to add to your pet’s diet to aid in improving and maintaining health, or both, you will love these products and find that they can help you to care for your dog like he or she is truly a member of the family.
The truth is that many families see their German Shepherd as much more than a pet that they own. This is a member of the family, who helps to bring great joy to every other member’s lives as well as one of the most important lines of defense in protecting your home, yourself, and the members of your family. You would not get second rate food to feed your spouse or your children, and so you should treat your dog with the same kind of love. It is what he or she truly deserves after the way that your German Shepherd has helped to brighten up your home.
You know your pet is special, and so you want to do all you can to care for this valued member of your family. Don’t just buy some name brand dog food that is intended for puppies or for adults that are big dogs. Instead, get a food that has all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals that your German Shepherd needs to be strong and healthy. These foods will not only help your dog to stay strong and to feel like the hyper, excited dog that you love so much, but will also give him or her a lot healthier skin and fur, giving an incredible look.
Just think how much you love to come home and see your dog jumping around and ready to greet you at the door. Now you can continue to ensure that this is what will happen by finding a dog food and supplement that will attend to the nutritional needs of your pet as long as he or she lives. You will glad that you made this choice.